A friend of mine is stuck between two epically long books and wants to be able to make progress on her reading goal for the year (this really is about a friend, I’m not trying to disguise my woes!).
I told her I’d make a list of books, she said to categorize them however I wished, so here you go (in no particular order)!
- Timeline by Michael Crichton.
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia series (I started with The Magician’s Nephew)
- A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin (beginning with A Game of Thrones)
- Anything by James Herriot.
- Anything by Jim Kjelgaard.
- Anything by Jack London.
- Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat.
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. (get the one illustrated by Robert Ingpen)
Quick Reads (mostly romances):
- Monica McCarthy’s Highland Guard series (you don’t have to read them in order, I didn’t)
- Sally MacKenzie’s Naked Nobility series. (Hilarious! Better if you do read them in order)
- Lilli de Jong by Janet Benton.
- Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead trilogy (definitely read these in order; Gilead, Home, and Lila)
- Austenland by Shannon Hale.
- Auntie Mame and Around the World with Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis.
- Christy and Julie by Catherine Marshall.
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.
- Wild Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.
- Anything by Marion Chesney or Patricia Veryan (fun Regency/Georgian/Edwardian-era romances with some intrigue thrown in)
- Anything by Anne Perry. (My favorites are The Whitechapel Conspiracy and A Breach of Promise)
- Gone Girl and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
- The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest)
- Anything by Agatha Christie (my favorites are The Crooked House, The Man in the Brown Suit, and And Then There Were None)
- The Lace Reader and The Fifth Petal by Brunonia Barry.
- Dead by Sunset by Anne Rule.
- Dan Wells’ John Cleaver series (begins with I Am Really Not A Serial Killer)
- The Red Room by Nicci French.
- The Green Mile by Stephen King.
- The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodges Burnett.
- The Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery. (Really, anything by her!)
- Mrs. Mike by Nancy and Benedict Freedman.
- Let the Hurricane Roar (also titled Young Pioneers) by Rose Wilder Lane.
- Tisha as told to Robert Specht.
- Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott.
- Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.
- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.
- Anything by Jane Austen.
- Bird by Bird and Traveling Mercies by Anne LaMott.
- Wild and Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed.
- A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.
- Let’s Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson.
- Sex with Kings and Sex with the Queen by Eleanor Herman.
- Anything by Michael Farquhar. (Hilarious perspectives on historical events and figures)
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer.
- The Art of Stillness by Pico Iyer.
- Bathsheba’s Breast: Women, Cancer, and History by James S. Olson.
- The Lady in Red by Hallie Rubenhold.
Featured Image Credit: Unsplash’s Annie Spratt