This is one of the rare times I’ve followed a recipe to a “t” (well, almost. I did add additional lemons… and I baked it covered, first). I love chicken and this is one of the best recipes I’ve ever tried.
Healthy Lemon Braised Chicken A healthy roasted chicken entree with red potatoes and green beans
Prep time:15 mins | Cook time: 50 mins | Total time: 1 hour 5 mins | Serves: 4
4 chicken breasts
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 lemons (1 will be sliced and 1 juiced) 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3⁄4 pound trimmed green beans
8 red potatoes, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Coat a dutch oven, castiron skillet, or baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Slice one lemon and arrange lemon the slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish
- In a large bowl, combine the rest of the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken, green beans and potatoes and toss to coat.
- Pour the mix into the roasting pan.
- Roast for 50 minutes or until cooked completely
The recipe calls for baking it uncovered, I was afraid the chicken would be undercooked but the potatoes and green beans would be crispy, so I baked it covered for 50 minutes and then took the foil off and baked it enough to brown. Actually, I forgot it was in the oven, so it got a little too brown and so it was a little dry when reheated.
I had the last of the leftovers tonight – so scrumptious! I actually eat the lemons (they’re so soft and really add a zest to the dish) with the entree. I think I’ll be making this again tomorrow. This was great for school lunches because it’s a quick re-heat, tastes great (if you don’t overcook it to begin with like I did) and is healthy as advertised!